Croabh Muster and Shuna Race

There were some notable absences from the Croabh muster this year but this was made up for, arguably, by an influx of non members. Jim Berry and his team had done a great job to dress up the boatshed with spinnakers, flags and large Visit Scotland banners and had even provided a makeshift gazebo to shield the barbecue team from the persistent rain. Steve and Susan Pickles assisted by Graham and Colin had the barbecue expertly in hand but were perhaps a little unprepared for the unexpected guests. 

While the dancing was underway, courtesy once again of Stewart's ipod, there came a request from a group of young French visitors to use some of the space in the shed for, it was thought, 4 to 5 minutes. Catherine agreed to this on condition that the visitors took part in some dancing beforehand. This they did with no little gusto, entering into the spirit but with even more hilarious incompetence than some of the locals.  Then they disappeared behind the screens to the workshop at the back of the boatshed to conduct a Mass, complete with priest in robes and which went on for about 45 minutes oblivious to any health and safety issues (well they were French after all). This was far too long to postpone Serpent activities so their mournful droning was easily drowned out when the dance music was cranked up again.  When eventually they all reappeared they were happy to continue dancing and it turned out that they were a group on a pilgrimage to Iona on three chartered yachts and had just arrived that night from the airport.  Certainly it boosted the numbers on the dance floor and the barbecue was once again decreed a success, albeit a somewhat unconventional one.

Next day the rain had ceased although there was very little wind to begin with. Alan Faichney with extended family on board kindly agreed to act Sapphire as start boat which relieved Out of the Blue of their duty and allowed them to participate properly among the two other starters.The fickle wind held up and the trick was to find the patches on the leg to the south end of Shuna at which point a pleasant breeze picked up allowing a period of faster sailing on the west side.  Troikka with the advantage of a light furling No1 managed to sneak ahead from the start but always conscious that Ataraxia was within a dangerous distance, never mind Out of The Blue. However Troikka's time was sufficient and Out of the Blue managed to hold Ataraxia on handicap by a mere 46 seconds.  By the end of the race the sun was out and the fantastic weather which the following week was to bring was on its way. Click on the results below to see the full thing.

Troikka went on to have a splendid week of cruising, not venturing very far in the light to absent winds but having a most enjoyable time in mid Argyll.


No comments:

Post a Comment